The Montana Lawyer Assistance Program exists to protect the interests of clients and the general public from harm caused by impaired lawyers or judges, by confidentially assisting impaired members of the profession to begin and continue recovery, and educating the bench, the bar, and the public to the causes of, and remedies for, impairments that effect members of the legal profession.
Resources for Montana Attorneys
- Helpline - Confidential, toll free 24-hours a day, every day - (406) 660-1181
- Lawyers Helping Lawyers Network
- Guidance and Referral - For the impaired member of the legal community or their friend, associate, spouse, or other family member. We provide information on alcohol and drug or mental health treatment programs, interventions, and family or friend support, suggestions for appropriate treatment options, as well as general education on mental health and chemical dependency issues for the legal community. This program is designed to provide help and education to lawyers, judges, paralegals, law students and faculty, and their families.
- Substance Abuse/Mental Illness (SAMI) CLE - to hold a program for local bar associations and others in the legal community, please contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
Program Support Groups
- Billings: Third Thursday at noon in the conference room of the GW Building, intersection of Third Avenue North and North Broadway. For more information, contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
- Great Falls: Last Tuesday of each month, conference room at 104 4th Street N #200. Meeting begins at 12:00 p.m. For more information, contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
- Helena: Last Wednesday of each month in the Aspen Court Building, 33 S. Last Chance Gulch, in the upstairs board room. Social gathering is at noon, followed by the meeting at 12:15 p.m. For more information, contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
- Kalispell: Last Thursday of each month, meeting room in the basement of the Kalispell City Library, 247 1st Ave. East. Meeting dates are subject to change. Meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. For more information, contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
- Missoula: First Wednesday of every month at 6 p.m., Pope Room at the University of Montana School of Law. For more information contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
Where to Volunteer
Become a part of the Montana Lawyer Assistance Program's statewide network. All network members will attend general education workshops. To join the network, contact Mike Larson at (406) 660-1181.
The Montana Lawyer Assistance Program is independent from any disciplinary organization and does not police, report, discipline, or otherwise threaten the career of an attorney or judge. By order of the Montana Supreme Court (Order No. 85-96), the names of all persons seeking assistance under this program shall remain confidential.
For Further Information
Hotline Counselor - Mike Larson (406) 660-1181